CAPRESE & PROSCIUTTO PANINI
- 1 large tomato
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves
- 4-5 slices of prosciutto
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices of bread (such as ciabatta or sourdough)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze or reduction
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the tomato and fresh mozzarella cheese into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Brush one side of each slice with olive oil. Place the oiled sides of the bread slices down on a griddle pan or in a skillet over medium heat.
- Layer the tomato slices, fresh basil leaves, prosciutto, and mozzarella slices on top of one bread slice. Drizzle the balsamic glaze or reduction over the mozzarella layer. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the other slice of bread on top, oiled side facing up.
- Press the sandwich gently with a spatula and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the bread is toasted and the cheese has melted.
- Remove the sandwich from the heat and let it cool slightly. Slice the caprese sandwich in half and serve it warm.